Tuesday, December 6, 2022

in December

in December many people
get into the holiday spirit
lawns covered in dazzling lights
children write their gift wish lists
kitchens busy baking cookies
 
as for me I complete another
cycle around the sun
yet I loathe this time of year –
I know a long December will
lead to a longer January
those cold weather blues
always getting me down
 
I look out from my window
wondering when the first flakes
will fall from the winter sky
turning my heart to ice
before spring’s thaw
 
 
I used the following song titles in my poem:  "Cold Weather Blues" by Muddy Waters and "A Long December" by Counting Crows
 
 

19 comments:

  1. Well done. I like the contrasts in your poem. Perhaps you should move to Florida!?? :>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter does seem long but, at least spring will come again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Arcadia! The song titles felt totally natural in your poem... Greatly enjoyed it.

    ~David [ben Alexander]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warm Wishes Arcadia
    Also; Check out this
    Whirligig Prompt 400

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we share the same attitude towards December. The Christmas festivities (and birthday) just draw attention to the impossibility (for us) of joining in, and the cold is just cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes.....the snow, then the ice....but always the spring thaw! And happy December birthday! Perhaps some warmed mulled wine will help?

    ReplyDelete
  7. One must adjust their attitude once winter arrives - we actually moved north from a warmer climate to ENJOY the icy cold :). Well penned poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to this. Christmas seems stressful, and worrying about the small family I have traveling in a blizzard to visit doesn't help. The spring thaw brought hope in your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't mind the cold, but I loath the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bjorn do you have infrared saunas where you're at? 10,000 lux lights also help. About time to pull mine out again...

      Delete
  10. I know what you mean about a long December leading to a longer January.

    ReplyDelete