Tuesday, November 21, 2023

letter to my first best friend

dear friend,

do you remember how we became
friends in elementary school
sitting in your bedroom listening
to Debbie Gibson, camping in a tent
in your backyard or riding in the
back of your mom’s van

do you remember riding on the
bus with me on a Friday afternoon
we played with dolls in my bedroom,
mom taking us to see Batman movie,
or staying up late so I could expose
you to Showtime at the Apollo

these are things I try to recall
instead of how we drifted apart –
you were held back a grade
we both started making new friends
before you moved away without
a proper goodbye

I wonder where you are now
what adventures life has brought you
maybe one day we can reconnect –
perhaps Facebook could help –
or our friendship will remain
a long ago memory


15 comments:

  1. I've lost touch with a few childhood friends too, so I can relate to this. This was very poignant and tender, but also powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one!!! Luv how your letter gives the pause to wonder

    Muchđź–¤love

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so much easier to make friends back then. Growing up sucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very poignant, something we can all relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lifetime of loosing contacts until they reappear... hope you find each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how each little detail in your poem define your days together. Time and life take their toll on friendships, but oh how we miss them and wonder now and then, how they are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. reading this reminds me of how many friends have been and gone over the years. I really miss some of them and likewise wonder what they are doing now

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we must all have at least one friend who we wish we had never lost touch with and you put it here very well...

    ReplyDelete