Thursday, October 29, 2020

houseguests

lingering spirits glue to these walls
they don’t like us here, in spaces
they once occupied
 
they reach out with cold hands
that go right through, raising voices
which never reach our ears
 
in the dead of night, they take over
the sofas and kitchens, attempting
to reclaim their rightful places
 
when the sun returns, they slink back
to the shadows, watching others
live out the lives they have lost


- A little something for Halloween.   dVerse Open Link Night#277

11 comments:

  1. Very mystic, eerie, and so eloquently penned. Fantastic writing here, I always enjoy reading your work, dear poet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds about right, Maria. Some places have that feel to them. A dark, resentful residue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the title – I’ve had houseguests in the past, and they do glue to walls. Mine have been friendly and haven’t disturbed me too much. I would hope that some of them even like to have others in spaces they once occupied, looking after their homes. I like the idea that:
    ‘in the dead of night, they take over
    the sofas and kitchens, attempting
    to reclaim their rightful places’
    as long as I’m asleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kim. Good to hear that there are some "benevolent" houseguests out there.

      Delete
  4. Great poetry .... going to take a second look at my furniture this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of the movie 'The Others' - who are really the impostors, us or them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is incredibly potent! Who knows what lurks in the corners ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wonder where i will haunt when it is my time to do so? loved the poem

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh... I really like the light when the light returns.

    ReplyDelete