Wednesday, September 11, 2024

a ghazal for the sea

the sounds of seagulls greet us
as we drive closer to the sea

white foamy waves await our arrival
to dive deep into cerulean blue sea

children collect seashells on white sands 
oblivious to the mysteries of the sea

unlike fisherman casting nets to catch fish,
their livelihood dependent upon the sea

I dream of us under moonlight
listening to roaring waves of the sea

Maria tosses a bottle holding a message 
with hope to cross the sea


- Written for dVerse Poetics: By the Beautiful Sea.  I decieded to try my hand at the Ghazal poetry form which I have been reading about over the summer.  Let me know what you think.


11 comments:

  1. I hope the message makes it to a distant shore - Truedessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivid snapshots of the seaside in your ghazal, Maria, which remind me of childhood daytrips. Your poem appeals to the senses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had not heard of this form....I take it that it involves repetition of the last word in the first stanza in the end of every stanza? You've created excellent imagery here....I enjoyed this very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has roots from Arabic and Persian literature. It's an interesting form to look into and read. Thanks for reading Lillian.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love this... the repetition of the sea makes such sense for the ocean with the waves coming in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. keenly observed - I particularly admire the 3rd verse ~

    ReplyDelete